Search

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Put Your House In Order

I like that phrase.  It seems that it is applicable to all aspects of life.  It can mean so many things, and may mean something different to everyone.

Right now, I'm feeling that I need to put my house in order.  Literally, my house; the place where I live.  But it goes deeper than that.  There are so many things I feel I need to put into order, that sometimes I just don't know where to begin.  I suspect there are many people out there who feel that way.

Without going into details, here are my "houses" which need to be attended to this year.  Ask yourself (and feel free to comment), what are yours?

My Home: It's drowning in clutter, which affects every other aspect of my life.
My Health: The momentum that I had in 2009 when I lost 70 pounds is all but gone.
My Finances: If you're not drowning in debt, be very, very thankful.
My Relationships: This covers my relationships with several people in my life.  Some of them require serious attention, and others, I'd just like to find ways to improve upon and grow closer to.

We all have things in life that we're not satisfied with.  Some are relatively minor, others are gargantuan and can feel impossible to deal with.  Every January, we all make resolutions.  Things we want to change about ourselves or our lives, or just do better, be better at.  By February, many of us have failed at many or all of our resolutions, and we continue to live a life that we're not fully satisfied with.

I realize that I've been living too much of my life looking ahead or looking back. Wishful thinking about the things I could have done back then, or the things I would do in the future (if I only had a million dollars), or worse, kicking myself for NOT doing this, that or the other thing in my past, because it's holding me back from the future I really want.

There will always be things that I might wish I had done differently.  But the fact of the matter is, I didn't.  And I can't go back and change that now.  All I can do is deal with what is in front of me, right here, right now.  So much of it is good, so on that basis alone, I cannot begrudge the fact that I didn't do things differently back then, because I might not have those good things now.  And the things that aren't so good?  Well, I just have to look at them as the jumping off point.  A place to start.

Right here, right now is a good place to start... to put my house in order.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Megan! You have just accomplished what most people never do, which is to admit that things aren't perfect and identify specific areas that need improvement - and to write them down. So many people squander the present by focusing on the past and wondering about the future. The best way to let the past serve you is not to dwell on mistakes - learn from them and move on. Work to be where you are - now. What you do now will, in large part, determine the future. All the things you mentioned, especially relationships, need your attention now. Spend your time in the present, and give it your full attention. These things are not insurmountable, and the things aren't nearly as important as the people in your life! I love you!

    ReplyDelete