Search

Saturday, September 12, 2009

5K Training - Week 5, Days 2 & 3

Day two was Wednesday. Since Rob was back to work, and it was raining in the morning, I had to wait until he got home, so I didn't jog until about 6 pm.

I actually felt pretty good. The 8 minutes stretches were not as hard as I thought they'd be. I don't know if I just psyched myself up for it better, was so anxious to get out there, or if it was because I wasn't running on an empty stomach, like first thing in the morning. At any rate, it was good.

Day three was yesterday. And it kicked my butt. Seriously.

I ran over by Mom's house, since Rob had an appointment, and I was over there anyway. So she watched the kids (or rather the kids watched Noggin over there for 30 minutes) and I set out for my first straight 2 mile jog.

It was TOUGH. Actually, the first 10 minutes weren't so bad, but I was ready to walk by then. But I didn't. I kept on pushing. I didn't get too winded, which is good, but I really felt the tiredness in my legs, and by the time my podcast told me my 20 minutes was up, I felt like puking. I was definitely feeling my legs, and ever so grateful that I took some detours down dead end streets when I hit the Great Big Hill going back up to Mom's house... it was hard enough to walk up it at that point, and I knew I wasn't going to be up for tackling that hill at the end of my run.

The route I took was a bit more hilly than the one I run here, so that could account for some of the tiredness I feel today. But it was the first time I've ever jogged a whole two miles in my entire life (I think the most I ever ran when I was in school was one mile... and I was in way better shape, and a good deal younger then! Wink )

All in all, a good week. I'm trying to think of a way to safely step up my program a little, so I'll be ready for my 5K on time. I have 4 more weeks of training on this program, and the Race for the Cure is in 3 weeks! I really want to try to run the whole thing, so I think maybe if I cut out my day of rest on Sunday, and truly run every other day, I can probably accomplish my goal of finishing this program before the race, and still give my legs the rest they need.

So, tomorrow, I'll start Week 6, Day 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment