Search

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Amusing Things Seen on My Runs

Today was W6D3 of my 5k training. 25 minutes straight running, no walking... and I did it! Cool

I felt tired but good. My breathing was good, but my legs were getting close to Jello by the time it was over. All in all though, it felt really good. I'm convinced; I do better running, and for the rest of the day, if I can get my run in early. Must find a way to work that out!

Now, for the amusing part. I look around as I jog. It's one of the reasons I refuse to join a gym or buy a treadmill (aside from not having the money for such things). Generally, I enjoy looking at the scenery, waving to my neighbors, checking out others landscaping, watching kids play. There's also a house in the neighborhood behind mine which has two domesticated bunnies roaming around the front yard from time to time! Of course, there is the occasional unpleasantness; the dog incident for one, as well as the inevitable squished frogs, bugs and worms. I just try not to run through any of that... YUCK!

Today however, I saw two things that were puzzling, amusing, and rather funny! The first was during the last half of my 25 minute run. I saw something in the road. From a distance I thought it might be a small pile of leaves or grass; it just rained. Then I feared it might be yet another squished thing, only bigger. As I got closer, I realized it was moving... slowly. I had to get right next to it before I recognized what it was... A CRAWDAD! Now, there's a small pond in this area, but it's pretty murky, and this was still a good ways away from it. There it was, in the middle of the road, just goin' for a stroll! It was still there when I made my return trip. By far, strangest thing I've ever seen out on my runs.

The other thing that tickled me happened as I was cooling down, walking back down my street. I heard a Mockingbird warbling... and getting quite carried away with his song too (showing off for a female, I'm sure Razz)! I looked around, and sure enough, there he was, on top of one of the Bradford Pear trees which adorn the front yard of all the homes in this development. The funny thing was, he wasn't just sitting there. He was literally dancing and flitting from the tippy-top of one branch to another! It struck me as so funny, that I had to laugh out loud! Laughing

Even though I depend on the weather to be nice (or at least not pouring down rain) and I have to wait around for childcare sometimes, I really love running outdoors. You never know what you'll see next! Wink

No comments:

Post a Comment