Search

Monday, August 10, 2009

5K Training - Day One!

So, I made up my mind to do this, and I went out on Friday to this fabulous store called Run for your Life and got fitted for my first pair of running shoes. I'm glad I went to a running store because how else would I possibly know that I overpronate my ankles when I run?? Anyway, thanks to the very helpful sales girl, I walked out with a nice pair of good fitting running shoes, a good jog-bra, and light $145!! Shocked But thanks to tax-free weekend, it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Saturday, the whole family tripped up to Target to pick out a sports watch with a timer. An hour later (and thanks to the nice lady in the grocery section who gave my grumpy kids free snacks!) we walked out with the least expensive, least complicated watch I could find that would still do the job.

This morning, at 6 am, my little curly-headed alarm clock went off screaming! I went in and "snoozed" her for a bit, but my brain was already working, so I was up by 6:30. Did my weigh-in, got dressed, had a little water, and off I went! I wanted to be sure to get out the door before 7am because a) it's already 75 degrees and 78% humidity, climbing to a high of 97 today and b) Monday is garbage day... YUCK!

Started off w/ a five minute brisk walk, then it was time for my first 60 sec jog. This training program starts off with 20-30 minutes, jog for 60 sec, walk for 90 sec. So I calculated that 20 minutes of that meant 8 cycles. First one, not too bad... got my heart rate up. Second, a little harder, but still ok. I could feel the difference my new shoes made immediately! By the fourth interval, I was thinking, Ok, halfway there... by the 6th, the thought crossed my mind that maybe that's enough for now.

NO!

Did the 7th... waited a little longer than 90 sec, so I wouldn't have to start jogging UPhill... 8th interval... longest 60 seconds of my life (with the possible exception of the transition contractions during my labor w/ Charlie)!

As I did my cool down walk, heading toward my house, I thought, I don't know if I can do this. This is HARD!

But that's the point. If it were easy, everyone would / could do it. Same thing with natural childbirth. It's hard, but it's so worth it! BIG difference here though (and this is what got me through that last 60 second jog): I didn't have a CHOICE but to get through childbirth. I have a choice here. Am I going to give up? Or am I going to stick with it (for once in my life) and keep on going.

I'm going to keep on going. Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment