Search

Monday, August 31, 2009

5K Training - Week 4, Day 1

I realize, I forgot to update on Friday, but really, it was the same as the rest of the week. Except when I got home, and reviewed the program online, I realized, I did the whole week wrong!! Embarassed Not by much, but still.

So this week, I my schedule has been thrown off a bit, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. Rob has taken a new contract, and so will be going back to work in a week. Plus, as the days get shorter, and since the return to Standard Time has been pushed to November, it's very dark still at 7 am. My neighborhood is relatively safe, but still I would not feel comfortable out running by myself in the dark.

This morning, he had an early appointment which took him out of the house at 7 am, leaving me to figure out when and how to work in my run later in the day. I had a doctor's appointment at 3pm, prior to which I had to fast, so I was not about to run on an empty stomach, knowing I could not replenish that spent energy until after my appointment. I'm glad I waited, as I did not get home until after 4:30 pm.

After getting dinner in the oven though, I did go out. It had been gray and overcast all day, thus keeping the temperature down quite a bit from what it has been. Feeling good, I started off.

This week's cycle took me through a brisk 5 minute warm-up, then 3 minutes jogging, 90 seconds walking, 5 minutes jogging, then 2.5 minutes walking... then repeat. The three minutes was fine. The first five minutes was fine too, but I was more than ready to stop by the time my watch went off. 2.5 minutes passed all too quickly, then it was time for another 3 minutes. Again, not so bad, but more tiring than the first. The last five minute jog was damn hard though, since the bulk of it was uphill, and this was the first time ever in my life that I've run for 5 straight minutes.

I thought about quitting. I thought about just stopping as I got tired. But I decided, no. I need to push through this. I wasn't hurting, I wasn't having a hard time catching my breath, I was just tired. And so, I didn't quit.

This week I'll finish out in the mornings, which is certainly when I prefer to work out. I have found, that if I let too much of the day go by, I tend to lose my will. But, seeing as I have no other choice, I will find a way to get it done next week. Hopefully, the weather will oblige me by staying cool, so I don't have to force myself to run in the heat of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment