Search

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Bucket List

If you haven't seen the movie, The Bucket List, with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, I suggest you go rent it. Of course, my seeing the movie wasn't the true inspiration for making my own bucket list. Like most people, I have always had things I want to do... someday.

One of these days I will...

Some day, I'd like to...

Before I die, I want to visit...

These are the things that comprise a "bucket list". Everyone has things they want to accomplish in life. I'm of the opinion however, that one's bucket list should not be comprised of "practical things". Everyone wants to get out of debt, lose weight, find love, etc... those things are a given.

A bucket list, is a unique list of things that YOU want to do in your lifetime. They're not right, they're not wrong, they can be completely whimsical in nature, or quite serious. But I've come to think that it's important to write them down. If it's written down, you won't forget it, and it's something to aspire to.

These are some of mine, in no particular order.

1) Travel the country in an RV, eventually visiting every state in the contiguous US.
2) Visit as many national parks and landmarks as possible. Specifically, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Mount Rushmore, The Redwood Forest, and Denali.
3) Travel through parts of Europe; Italy, Spain, Ireland, and Greece.
4) Attend a tennis match at Centre Court, Wimbledon (preferably week 2).
5) Attend a tennis match at the US Open, Arthur Ashe Stadium.
6) Visit New York City, stay in a nice hotel and see at least one show on Broadway.
7) Take a small ship cruise to Alaska
8) Visit Australia; The Syndey Opera House, Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef
9) Visit Hawaii
10) Drive the Pacific Coast Highway, from San Francisco to San Diego.
11) Learn to play the guitar
12) Learn to scuba dive
13) Go skydiving
14) Learn to ride a horse

These are just the ones that I could think of off the top of my head, and part of an ever evolving list. Most of them require more time and money than I will have anytime in the near future, but they are goals nevertheless. In the meantime, I'll continue to focus on the every day goals of my immediate future, the things I need to do to make these larger dreams a reality one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment