Search

Monday, August 31, 2009

Birthday Soup

Yesterday was my mom's birthday.  I love my mom so much, and I'm very fortunate to have her close by.  It's been a rough year all around, and I so wanted to do something special for her to celebrate her day.

However, living on unemployment and our savings means we have no extra money for dinner out, gifts or splurges.  The children had made her huge birthday cards, with their own unique brand of coloring techniques, and they were rolled up and ready to go.  So, I decided to make her a birthday cake myself.  It was the least I could do.

I started the cake while the children were having their lunch, and made the frosting (chocolate butter cream... yum!) just before we left for Mom's house.  As I mixed the frosting, Charlie decided to make his own special creation for Grandma: Birthday Soup!

He went over to Sarah's little kitchen (which he has just as much fun with as she does) and went to work.  Whirring and stirring, then putting it in the oven.  It was done in a matter of seconds!  He was so thrilled with the idea of his Birthday Soup, that he insisted on taking it with us... after all, it was Grandma's birthday!

So off we went, umpteen toys in hand, the rolled up cards, my freshly frosted chocolate cake and, of course, the plateful of Birthday Soup.

I held off on decorating the cake until we reached Mom's house, for fear that the lid would make a mess of the decoration.  Turns out, I didn't have a great deal to worry about, since my decoration turned out hideous anyway: Photobucket

Oh, well, it's the thought that counts, right?

And Sarah was impressed anyway... when my sister lifted her up to see the freshly decorated cake, she looked at it and said, "Oh, it's PINK!!  And choc-o-wat!  I looovve cake!!"

All in all, it was a great evening, and the cake was a hit!  As was the Birthday Soup!  Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment