Search

Friday, August 21, 2009

5K Training - Day Six: An Unwanted Adventure

It was going pretty well. Not any better than Wednesday, but not worse either. Worked through the shin splints. Concentrated on my form.

I was just finishing my fourth interval, when it happened. A dog comes running out of it's yard after me. Ok. No problem. It happens. It'll go home.

It didn't go home. It's running all around me, jumping up on me. Running and jumping in front of my feet as I run, nearly tripping me. I'm trying not to kick or step on the dog as I yell NO and GO HOME! I'm now 6 houses or so down from where the dog came from. It's not going home. It's still jumping on me. And every time I try to shoo it off, it comes back.

Oh, did I mention this is a pit bull??? A puppy, maybe 15 pounds, but a pit bull nonetheless.

Now, I'm an animal lover. I'm a dog lover. And I don't have issues with "aggressive breeds" per se. I do, however, have issues aggressive DOGS. And this dog, while semi-playful, was aggressive.

So I turn around and head back to where the dog came from. Dog jumping, me yelling NO as loud as I can. I can't remember exactly which house, so I pick on and knock on the door. The dog is jumping on me the whole time. Man comes to the door, I apologize and ask, IS THIS YOUR DOG??

He says, no... next door. I confirm which next door, and apologize again.

Go next door. Dog still jumping up on me. Ring the bell. No answer. Again. No answer. KNOCK. NO ANSWER.

I go around the side of the house to see if there's a gate in the chain link fence around back. Nope, not on this side, but clearly, it's a temporary fence. Go back, ring the bell again. No answer.

Try the other side. This time, as I go around the other side of the house, here comes another gal walking down the street, and the dog takes off after her. So I yell at the dog to come back, explaining to her that it's not mine, but trying to keep it from chasing her. Dog comes back, she moves on.

I still can't find a way into this gate, but I can see that it's been sloppily installed, leaving a gaping hole between the fence and some bench they wedged up by the fence and the house, which is probably how the dog escaped in the first place.

Obviously hearing me still trying to get the dog to leave me alone, go into the fence, get the freaking OWNERS to get their assess outside and control this thing... the girl comes back. While she's attempting to grab the collar (and the dog is mouthing at her... not really biting, but still putting teeth to skin, as he had me) I go around and BANG on the door again. STILL NO ANSWER. Evil or Very Mad There are THREE cars in the driveway, and NO ONE'S HOME??? Give me a break!

Finally, the other girl and I decide just to put the dog over the fence. She manages to get a grip on him, and pushed it over the fence. Dog tumbles, then charges the fence. Satisfied that the dog is fine, and contained, if only temporarily, we both make our escape after I thank her profusely for helping out. And I make damn sure to turn back and commit the address to memory.

Now, with muddy paw prints covering the bottom of my shirt, and even reaching as high as my boobs, I try to regain my composure and finish my workout. I've lost track of how many intervals I've done, so I do an extra just in case.

Got home, stretched, got my water. Checked in with Rob, verifying that he does take some note of how long I'm usually gone, and that he would notice if I'd been gone too long. Call animal control. Cause even if this dog is only a nuisance right now, give it a few months. A few more pounds. This dog had that "look". The look that says, "I might be playing now, but I have the potential to cause harm".

I have no idea what kind of environment this dog is being raised in. I got the feeling from the next door neighbor that it's probably a new dog. I don't care. If you can't keep a dog that is classified as a "dangerous breed" contained properly, then you should. not. have. it. Period.

So, overall, the training run was fine. I'm ready to step it up next week. But I'll be checking with animal control before I go jogging by that house again, that's for DAMN SURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment