Search

Friday, August 21, 2009

Update on the Pit Bull encounter

I got a hold of animal control, and made my report.  Within the hour, they sent someone out, and she then came to talk to me.  Turns out, this particular family has a long history with animal control, going back 4-5 years when their last dog kept getting loose.  Apparently, they realized they couldn't control that dog, and got rid of it.

And now they have a new dog.  The pit bull.  Her name is Penny.  She's young, maybe 3 months old.  Too young for rabies shots (yikes!) and the owner has been *trying* to get her into PetSmart for training... and missed 4 appointments so far.  The animal control officer spoke with the wife, who told her that the husband had gone out to get a chain for the dog.

Now, here's where my worry comes in.  I have no problem with the puppy.  I don't particularly care for pit bulls myself, but, if properly trained, they can be very sweet.  Problem is, I don't have a good feeling about the quality of training this pup is going to get.  Right now, she's just acting like a boisterous puppy.  However, if she is kept chained up, outside, mostly ignored and not properly trained, she could very well become aggressive.  And since we already know that these people cannot seem to figure out how to properly contain a dog (as in build a freaking privacy fence people!) what are the chances that this dog is going to get loose again?  Realatively high in my opinion.

I'm thinking I'll be finding a new workout route to run from now on.  Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment