Search

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

5K Training - Day Five

Today was hard. Seemed to take a bit longer for my legs to warm up than it has been. Shin splints for the first 2 intervals. By the third one, my lungs were screaming at me. On the fourth one, lungs and legs were protesting loudly.

The negative thoughts started creeping in. Why am I doing this? What made me thing I was cut out for running? I don't know if I can do this.

But I pushed those thoughts down. Remembered something harder that I've done.

My son. Giving birth to my son was the hardest physical work I've ever done. And I didn't have a choice. I had to get through it.

Photobucket

Is running for 90 seconds at a stretch really harder than pushing out a 10 pound baby on my back??

HELL NO!

Is running for 90 seconds harder than 21 hours of drug-free labor??

HELL NO!

I did that... and I was in much worse physical shape. I did that... I pushed for two hours on my back to get that kid out. And I'd do it again (although, NOT on my back)!

I can do THIS.

I know it's going to get harder. Next week I'll have to run for 2 minutes at a stretch. But I refuse to give up. I refuse to let this be another thing I don't finish. Even if I don't stick with running for the long haul, I'll know I tried. I'll know I did this. I'll know I worked hard, doing something outside my comfort zone. Something to challenge myself, mentally and physically.

And on October 3rd, I'll run for a cure for breast cancer!

http://tinyurl.com/megansraceforcure

No comments:

Post a Comment